Skip to main content

Independent Support

Education Health and Care (EHC) Plans

Independent Support for families is available from a number of sources, on:

  • assessments for Education Health and Care (EHC) Plans, 
  • personal budgets,
  • direct payments and all related matters. 

Independent Support Scheme. 

Parents, carers, children and young people (aged up to 25) can ask for Independent Support from either of the two providers;

by phone, email or face to face. Both services provide free, impartial, confidential advice to Wandsworth's parents, carers, children and young people.

Schools, children’s centres, the local authority and other services may also refer parents, carers, children or young people to these services.

The Independent Support Scheme is not a universal service taken up by everyone going through the EHC assessment process (as the funding available does not provide the capacity for this). It is a service that families can choose to access if they want or need it.   The provision of the Independent Support Scheme will be focussed on the more vulnerable families and/or those with needs that are more complex.

The Memorandum of Understanding and the Referral Protocol, on Independent Support in Wandsworth, both attached, right, set out in full how this scheme works.

Other local sources of advice include:

Positive Parent Action

National sources of advice include:

Contact a Family



The Council for Disabled Children (CDC)

Can’t find what you are looking for? Contact us: 
020 8871 7899
Text us on 07797 805 456 - text FIS at the beginning of your message



Back to top Powered by Open Objects © Open Objects Software Limited