Your local GP surgery
Your GP surgery is able to provide you with contraceptives, and some surgeries offer long acting reversible contraception (LARC) such as Coil (IUD/IUS), injection and implant insertion and removal . These are available to you regardless of your age or if you have been pregnant before. This website provide further information on the different types and methods of contraception www.fpa.org.uk/help-and-advice/contraception-help
All GPs are able to undertake Chlamydia and Gonorhoea tests if you are sexually active AND under 25 year old. GPs also can test you for HIV whatever your age.
GPs are responsible for Cervical Screening (also known as Smear test) for women aged between 24 – 49 who should attend every 3 years, and every 5 years for women aged 50 – 64. For further information please see: www.nhs.uk/conditions/cervical-screening-test/pages/introduction.aspx
Your local pharmacy
Pharmacies in the borough provide:
- Emergency contraception (EHC or Morning after pill) effective for up to 72 hours after unprotected sex
- Chlamydia and Gonorrhoea tests for under 25 year olds.
WISH (Wandsworth Integrated Sexual Health Service) is run by St George’s University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. The council, which commissions WISH services for its residents, has been involved in drawing up the changes and engaging with local service users.
WISH provide a range of services including, but not limited to:
- Testing and managing sexually transmitted infections
- Emergency and ongoing contraception
- Rapid HIV testing
- Referral for termination of pregnancy C-card registration and free condoms
- HIV post sexual exposure treatment (PEP)
In addition, the service will offer a range of specialist services including long-acting contraception, young people’s and gay men’s clinics, psychosexual therapy and a dedicated service for people with learning disabilities.
There are WISH clinics in Tooting, Roehampton and Battersea at the following locations:
The Courtyard Clinic, St George’s Hospital, Tooting. This clinic offers a comprehensive sexual health and contraception service and manages complex sexual health issues.
WISH contact details: 020 8725 3353
HIV testing and support
As well as GUM clinics and some of the GPs (please see document attached), if you just want a quick HIV test (20mins) or chat you can go to any of the venues below:
- The Chems Clinic at St. John's Therapy Centre , Hep C test also available (every other Wednesday: 6pm – 8pm)
- Clapham Common (Bi-monthly on the first and third Saturday: 2pm – 4pm)
- Two Brewers (Monthly on the first Friday: 8pm – 11pm)
The full addresses of the venues above and for more information about HIV testing and prevention, please visit the Brighter partnership website: www.brighterpartnership.com
Support for HIV positive people
HIV care and support service is available if you need:
- Advice and advocacy
- Family care services
- Training as well as other user-led services
- Peer Support
If you are attending one of our GUM clinics for treatment, one of the health advisors will be able to help. If you are interested in referring someone to the service or self-refer, please contact Camille by emailing Camille@metrocharity.org.u k or calling 020 7160 0949.