Skip to main content

Advice on Preparing for Adulthood

There are a variety of sources from whom you should expect help with Preparing for Adulthood, which you and your family should be thinking and planning for from when you are 14.  It is important that you and your family and wider circle of support discuss and understand what your ideas and aspirations are for your adult life from when you are very young. 

Staff at School  Your teacher should talk to you about your aspirations and goals, especially when you are choosing courses at school. What would you like to do? Which courses will help you achieve your goals?

Leaving school/going to college/finding an apprenticeship, supported internship or setting up your own business.

Connexions Connexions Advisors in Wandsworth have a lot of information about services and support that young people can access to help them achieve their goals. A Connexions Advisor will usually be available to meet young people during Year 9.

Adult Care and Information Service (ACIS) ACIS has a wealth of information about services for young people and adults. It can help to guide you through the many services available to those people eligible for formal help from Adult Social Services and for those who are not. Their range of factsheets, including easy read versions of some, explain what support you can get and who is eligible.

0 to 25 Disability Team (used to be the Transition Social Work Team and Disabled Children's Team)  supports young people eligible for Adult social care through the transition years. They work alongside a person’s network to help them achieve their preparing for adulthood goals.

VoiceAbility  Advocacy-this ensures people who might otherwise be unable to, can speak out, know their rights and have control over their life decisions.

Voiceability works with people with physical disabilities, learning disabilities, mental health needs and sensory impairments. (Currently this is just for over 18’s) 

Voluntary Sector Organisations.

Wandsworth Contact  (up to 25s)

Wandsworth Information Advice and Support Service (WIASS) (up to 25s) 

DASCAS  help with benefits, entitlements and support.

Your GP (Doctor)

As you turn 18 it is possible that your GP may need to become much more involved in your care and support.  If you need ongoing medical support to achieve your goals it is worth discussing this with your GP well before your 18th birthday, as they may need to make referrals to community health services in advance.

Can’t find what you are looking for? Contact us: 
020 8871 7899
Text us on 07797 805 456 - text FIS at the beginning of your message


Back to top Powered by Open Objects © Open Objects Software Limited