Wandsworth's DCR and WAND Parent Champion volunteers are parents or carers of a child or young person on the Disabled Children’s Register (DCR) who help to raise awareness of the benefits of joining the register. Parent Champions, having been through their own ups and downs, understand some of the challenges faced by other families and want to help make a difference for others.
As existing members of the Disabled Children’s Register, DCR Parent Champions can:
- tell parents, carers, professionals and young people about the DCR and WAND card,
- assist parents carers and young people to complete the application form,
- explain the benefits of registering,
- signpost to other local services like the Family Information Service, Contact and Wandsworth Information Advice and Support Service.
DCR Parent Champions are also trained and supported by the DCR, WAND and WAND+ Team to
- approach local businesses to explain how offering support, assistance and recognition to WAND card holders makes business sense,
- encourage interested businesses to join as WAND makers.