Skip to main content

How to make a complaint

If you have a complaint regarding how the Early Education or Nursery Education Entitlement is being offered by a childcare provider, you should first discuss this with the manager or owner of the provision. 

If your concern has not been resolved through this discussion, you can make a formal complaint in writing to the provider. The Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage says that providers must have a procedure for dealing with concerns and complaints.  All Providers must investigate written complaints relating to their fulfilment of the EYFS requirements and notify complainants of the outcome of the investigation within 28 days of having received the complaint.

If you are not satisfied with the response you received from the provider you can contact Ofsted direct on 0300 123 4666.  It is important to remember that if you do not want to give your name when making a complaint to Ofsted, you can choose to remain anonymous.

If your complaint relates to contracts or fees, you must talk to the provider first and try to resolve the complaint between yourselves.  If you cannot resolve the matter you can contact the Citizens Advice Bureau for legal advice and where to get assistance.

If you are concerned a child is at risk of harm from a provider you must contact the Local Authority Designated Officer for Safeguarding on 020 8871 7208.

If you are querying the amount of funding you are receiving from your childcare provider email: or call 020 8871 8339