Skip to main content

Setting Up a Nursery or Out of School Care Business in Wandsworth

Setting up a childcare business on premises outside your own home is called childcare on non domestic premises. This childcare for 0 – 8 years olds is regulated by Ofsted and applications and guidance on how to apply for registration is on the Ofsted web site. Childcare for children and young people over 8 is not regulated.

To set up childcare outside your own home you need to:

  • find premises

  • have planning permission

  • have a business plan

  • be registered with Ofsted.  

Each Local Authority produces an assessment of the childcare market in their area called a Childcare Sufficiency Assessment, Wandsworth's is attached. This will help you decide where to set up your childcare business.  However you must undertake your own market research to ensure childcare is needed and parents will be able to pay the charges you are planning to make.