Skip to main content

What if my child needs extra help at school or has Special Educational Needs (SEN)?

If you think your child or young person may have a special educational need that has not been identified by their school or nursery, you should talk to your child’s teacher first, or ask to see the Special Educational Needs Co-Ordinator (SENCO) or Headteacher. 

The SENCO is  the person in the nursery, school or college who has a particular responsibility for co-ordinating help for children and young people with special educational needs. Working together with your child’s teachers will often help to sort out worries and problems. 

Some children will need additional support   This kind of help is called “special educational provision”. Since September 2014 children and young people receive support under a single school based category called “SEN support in schools”.

When a special educational need has been identified, the school or nursery should start a cycle of actions. This cycle is called the graduated approach and involves the teacher, the SENCO,  teaching assistants, and sometimes other professionals. You, as parents/carers are involved and so is the child or young person.

You can read more about this in the "Ordinarily Available Provision: Expectations for all schools/settings " booklet in downloads on this page.

A few children and young people will need more support than school can provide, which is when an Education Health and Care needs assessment may be requested.

Can’t find what you are looking for? Contact Us:
020 8871 7899