Skip to main content

Moving into adulthood can be an exciting time of new opportunities, choices and increasing independence. However, it can also be a worrying time as you move on from familiar people, services and places to face new challenges and responsibilities.

What transition means

If you are a young person with special educational needs or a disability, when we talk about transition, we mean the change from being a teenager to being an adult, and from moving on from children's services to adult services.

Preparing for Adulthood Service is the social work (social care) team which supports young people with disabilities and mental health concerns from 14-25 years old and their parents/carers during the transition period.

During this period you may experience changes in lots of areas of your life.

Changes in your life

These changes may include:

  • Leaving education
  • Thinking about starting a job or work experience
  • Changes to their state benefits and finances
  • Moving into new accommodation
  • Changes to health and medical services
  • Changes in any social care support
  • Changes to personal relationships

Watch our short video on what transitions means. Read the video transcript


For further advice and support about the transition from children's to adult's social care service, please visit the pages below:-

What Transitions Planning Involves 

Principles of a Good Transition 

The Transition Journey

Young People's Lived Experience

Transitions Key Contacts

Please click here for information about the Preparing for Adulthood Service (social Care eligibility)

The Adult Social Care section on Wandsworth's website has further information about services for people with disabilities aged 18 and over.