Skip to main content

Tax Credits

A Tax Credit is money you can receive regularly from the Government.  Tax Credits can increase your income.

Child tax credit is for parents and carers of children or young people still in full-time education. 

You can get extra child tax credit if you:

  • get disability living allowance (DLA) for your child, or
  • your child is registered blind.

Extra tax credits for severely disabled children. If your child is severely disabled and gets the highest rate care component of DLA, you may get an additional payment.

Working tax credit is available if you work but earn low wages.

The Government's Revenue and Customs' website has an online calculator which you can use to find out whether you qualify for Tax Credits and how much you should get. Go to their website at:

You can claim tax credits by calling the Tax Credit Helpline: 0345 300 3900 Textphone: 0345 300 3909

Who to contact