Ofsted is the Office for Standards in Education, Children’s Services and Skills.
This is the central government organisation that regulates and inspects childcare and children’s social care and inspects:
- initial teacher education
- work-based learning and skills training
- adult and community learning
- education and training in prisons and other
- secure establishments
- the Children and Family Court Advisory
Support Service (Cafcass).
- assess children’s services in local areas,
- and inspect services for looked after children, safeguarding and child protection.
- registers childcare providers to ensure they meet legal standards
- inspects childcare providers and schools to ensure they are meeting legal standards
- publishes inspection reports of childcare providers and schools
To find inspection reports (the report that tells you what standards childcare providers and schools have reached) go to Ofsted's website.
To register as a childcare provider:
- at home childcarer,
- after school care,
- holiday playscheme provider or
- activity provider,
please complete the forms and guidance that are available on the Ofsted website.
Who to contact
Time / Date Details
- When is it on
- Monday to Friday: 9am - 5pm
Last updated: 11 Aug 2022