Skip to main content Live Chat

NHS Choices - Help After Rape and Sexual Assault

Sexual violence is a crime, no matter who commits it or where it happens. Don’t be afraid to get help.

If you have been sexually assaulted there are services that can help you. Consider getting medical help as soon as possible because you may be at risk of pregnancy or sexually transmitted infections.  To report a sexual assault please call 999.

The following services will provide care and treatment or refer you to another service if you need more specialist help (such as a forensic examination):

  • sexual assault referral centre (SARC), if there's one in your area
  • a doctor or practice nurse at your GP surgery 
  • a voluntary organisation, such as Rape Crisis or Women’s Aid
  • the free, 24-hour National Domestic Violence Helpline on 0808 2000 247
  • the Rape and Sexual Abuse Support Centre national freephone helpline on 0808 802 9999 (12-2.30pm and 7-9.30pm every day of the year) 
  • a hospital accident and emergency (A&E) department 
  • a genitourinary medicine (GUM) or sexual health clinic
  • a contraceptive clinic
  • a young people’s service
  • NHS 111
  • the police 
  • in an emergency, dial 999

For more information please visit the website.

Who to contact

Help After Rape or Sexual Assault