School Nursing Universal Service - Coronavirus
Health Visiting and School Nursing Universal Service
In response to COVID -19 the universal Health Visiting and School Nursing services have changed their offer in line with the NHSE and NHSI guidance.
From 1 April 2020 the health visiting and school nursing services will be offering a 7 day a week 9am-5pm duty line for parents and young people to call for support and advice. The duty line will be staffed by an administrator, Health Visitor and School Nurse. The number for Wandsworth is 0330 058 1679
The services are now offering:
- All vulnerable (London Continuum of Need level 3 &4) families and young people a range of face to face and video calls or home visit depending on need
- Vulnerable Antenatal women will be contacted and offered either video, telephone or face to face
- All of our New Birth visits will be carried out by a range of video calls and face to face contacts depending on need
- 6-8 week maternal mood assessments will be carried out by phone or video call
- Red Accident and Emergency attendances will be followed up
Wandsworth's School Nursing Service, provided by Central London Community Healthcare NHS Trust, works with children from Reception age and upwards attending a mainstream state school in Wandsworth. The service is delivered to individual children in a school setting, via group health promotion sessions, and support is provided to teachers with delivering Personal, Social and Health Education (PSHE) programmes.
Every maintained school in the borough has a named school nurse. The service is provided in partnership with other key services across the borough to promote the health and well-being for all children and young people attending school in Wandsworth.
The school nursing service is configured into 3 teams to facilitate joint working with partners in primary care, health visiting service, early years services, youth services and safeguarding teams. The School Health Teams are:
- Bridge Lane School Nursing Team - covering Battersea
- Brocklebank School Nursing Team– covering Tooting, Balham and Earlsfield
- Roehampton School Nursing Team – covering Roehampton and Putney
Who to contact
- 0330 058 1679
- Referral required
- Referral Details
Referrals to the School Nursing service are received from a variety of sources including schools, parents and the students themselves.
Schools are asked to complete an identified school nurse referral form indicating the child’s specific health need.
Students can self refer via the school nurse drop-in service or by contacting the school reception who are able to signpost the student to the service.
Parents/guardians can obtain the phone contact details for the practitioner attached to their child’s school from the school reception staff or from the Family Information Service website
To use this service your child needs to attend a Wandsworth mainstream state school.
- Local Offer Age Bands
Transitions to Adulthood (16+)
Secondary (11-16 years)
Primary (4-10 years)
Last updated: 21 Dec 2021