Skip to main content

Get parental responsibility for the child

If you want to care for a child long term, you can get parental responsibility for the child by applying for a Child Arrangement Order or Special Guardianship Order.

You may also be able to adopt the child.

Having parental responsibility means you can:

  • get unpaid parental leave for a child under 5
  • choose the child’s school
  • agree to the child’s medical treatment
  • look after the child’s finances and property
  • apply for a passport for the child
  • stop the child being taken abroad without your permission

Visit the website for more details.

Who to contact


Last updated: 28 Mar 2019